I’ve spent years working in information technology and have a degree in accounting. Despite that, I am not a big gadget or travel gear junkie. I just got my first smart phone 3 months ago after using the same out of date cell phone for nearly 8 years. However, I received a free Scottevest when I went to a travel conference in June. And with my travels for the College Football Travel Tour this Fall, this is the perfect time to test it out.
What is Scottevest?
The Scottevest travel vest is a comfortable, fashionable vest created by Scott Jordan as a way to carry gadgets and gear while traveling. The vest comes in a variety of colors and has numerous pockets on the chest, front, inside, and back to carry all sorts of travel gadgets. Zippers and magnets keep everything secure and allows easy transport through airports, cities, and wherever your travels take you.
How Scottevest made me take off my pants
For years, I’ve worn the same outfit when I travel – REI travel pants with zip pockets and a red and brown REI water resistant sweatshirt. Even if you put a bag over my head, people would recognize me by this outfit which I’ve worn for every flight.
Why did I wear this outfit? It was comfortable and carried all of my stuff. With my phone, wallet, keys, and other stuff, I could zip these in my pants pocket without a fear of losing them. I did have to take it out of my pocket when I went through airport security but for comfort and security, it was much better than wearing jeans.
When I tried Scottevest for the first time, I took off my pants. (Of course, I’ve also interviewed my Merrell GORE-TEX hiking boots after a hike.) My phone, headphones, gadgets, keys, tickets, wallet, and everything were carried in my vest. Never again do I need to wear those travel pants or empty my pockets.
My review of Scottevest
When I first got my Scottevest, I was reluctant to try it. I was comfortable with my ugly travel outfit and didn’t need to try anything else. On my flight to Dublin for the Emerald Isle Classic, I wore my Scottevest for the long flight there and the 27 hour flight back to California. I wore it again on my flight to Columbus for Ohio State.
When trying something new, I am honest and have high standards. Ironically, I like things simple. Scottevest seemed like a good fit. Here are my pros and cons of this unique travel vest.
Here are the things I loved about Scottevest (and it’s actually quite a list).
- I love the two pockets over the chest near the zipper. They are my favorite pockets. With zippers and plenty of room, I can carry my phone, headphones, airline tickets, and cash with easy access any time I need it.
- The two pockets at the bottom front of the vest contain magnets and a zipper to make sure everything is secure. Keys, change, and other small items go in those pockets. I use those for things I don’t need to access during a flight.
- The inside pocket with the clear front is great for smart phones. You can access your phone, scroll through the menu, dial numbers, and type without taking the phone out of the pocket.
- I love carrying everything in my Scottevest. I no longer have to take anything out of my pockets going through airport security. The Scottevest makes traveling easier than ever.
- I can take off my pants. I never have to wear them again. Now I wear jeans.
- The vest is stylish, comfortable, and actually makes me look slimmer. I can’t promise that this works for everyone.
There’s not much I didn’t like. However, I did have one problem.
- On my third trip with the Scottevest, the zipper split on my vest. I unzipped it and zipped it back and it held together. However, the zipper might not hold. I can still wear the vest without zipping but this was a bit disappointing.
The Scottevest is comfortable, stylish, and makes traveling so much easier now. I no longer have to wear my travel pants. I do confess to still wearing the red and brown sweatshirt sometimes. However, jeans, a short sleeve shirt, and my Scottevest make me a more stylish, comfortable, and happy traveler.
I am no longer a fashion nightmare when I travel. I don’t always look fashionable when I travel. But when I do, I always wear my Scottevest.